4th of July 2008 Weekend

21 November 2009

I remember exactly when I became a PepSiholic - it was the 4th of July 2008 weekend.  Which was about 6 weeks after I became aware of Pepa, Silvia, and Los Hombres de Paco.  Yes, I was a slow convert.

I did not read AE - my GF did. That's how she discovered Hospital Central and Maca, and that's how she learned of PepSi.  She was into PepSi LONG before I was, and during every other weekend when we saw each other, she made me watch Pepsi clips: the bathroom scene, the morning after breakfast, lab aventurilla exotica... Couldn't care less but I still translated for her, badly, I might add.  The hangar scene - nope, nothing, although the line about the nuns made me giggle.  And then... and then... there it was - the exact moment when I actually fell in love with the show: Silvia giving Pepa the finger.



When Silvia flipped Pepa the finger, she also flipped her way right into my heart and Sube a mi Cohete made it into my iPod.  And I realized how gorgeous this redhead is.


And by the middle of summer, I have downloaded and watched all the past LHDP episodes. Along the way, I have loved and lost an Asturian, made new friends and lost some...story of my life. And long after my GF has moved on to new obsessions (Shakira and Top Chef), here I am still a Silvialogist.

I cannot really say why I love these 2 characters - I don't have the gift of romantic gab like my friend Booker - but it has been a delight watching them week after week.  It has been a privilege watching old LHDP episodes and bringing them to you, so you too can understand why I am a Silvialogist. 

It's the finger.  It's Silvia, flipping the finger.  After 16 months, that scene still makes me smile. Silvia and her middle finger still make me smile.


5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Q18: This by far is my favorite because I didnt see that coming and it appeals to my humor. Hey whatever inspired you to create PepsiU is a winner.

kalike said...

Look Dr. P, I'm commenting on your lecture! I'm just joshin' ya. But really, take note for those end-of-the-year bonuses :)

Why does it surprise me but also not surprise me that Silvia giving Pepa the finger is what got you hooked? That image you captured is perfect. It's not just her flipping Pepa off, but it's her facial expression while doing it - the look in her eye and biting her lower lip - that puts an exclamation mark on the scene. Well done boss, and thank you for creating a place where we can dissect this show to no end!

Anonymous said...

Piper, I know I haven't told you... but you are my HERO and that LHDP scene is one of my favorites, not only because Silvia flipped Pepa, but because Pepa outsmarted Silvia and outed them.

- Anonymous for now

Cela said...

Ha! That would be the moment that got you...

Everybody else lists the sickeningly sweet romantic scenes as what got them hooked...yours is Silvia giving Pepa the finger. Love it.

Junebuggy1757 said...

I love it! That's great. And I must admit, that was the scene where my focus of hotness switced from Pepa to Silvia. That bird made me a Silvia gal!