BABY STEPS

13 November 2009

There is beauty in film. There are scenes that exemplify beauty and you know that you have seen something unique. Each of us have different opinions of what that beautiful moment is. I think there is beauty in the dancing of Laurel and Hardy. The scene of the girl in the red coat is a moment of beautiful black and white film making. There is beauty in Barbra Streisand brushing away Robert Redford's hair while he sleeps on a bar stool. Sometimes the beauty of a scene is in its simplicity. It must have sharp writing and direction and actors who can not only tell a story with dialogue, but with silence.

This is a lecture that I never thought I would write. How could I write about a perfect scene that is a thing of beauty? This scene is always mentioned as one of the most popular among fans. I do think it is one of the best Pepa and Silvia scenes and I think that is why I cannot avoid this lecture any longer. Three words come to mind with this scene: strength, vulnerability and trust.

It all takes place in an empty space that looks like an airplane hangar or warehouse. Two cops are working a crime scene, both are wearing yellow vests and have their hair pulled back. That is what we see on the surface, but we know so much more. We know that Pepa and Silvia are dipping their toes in the "relationship waters". We know that Silvia was hesitant about her attraction to Pepa, but after talking to Jose Luis, she seems ready to move forward. In my mind, Silvia left Jose Luis, and raced into Pepa's arms. I will go out on a limb and say that since that episode, they have been together like little Spanish bunnies.

There are four acts to this scene.

Act One--As they are working the crime scene, they share a moment when Silvia gives Pepa a smile and we know that they are "together". But when Pepa tries to kiss Silvia (and they are alone), Silvia backs away.



Act Two--Silvia tells Pepa that she feels like a "fish out of water" and that she is not concerned about what her father would say. She is trying to see herself in this relationship. How does she do things that she never had to think about before? She uses the examples of holding hands, getting a hotel room and kissing in public. All of her concerns are real and valid for a woman in her situation. Silvia articulates her fears and shows her vulnerability....she doesn't hide that she is scared. How does she continue to love Pepa? How do they leave the privacy of the bedroom and step out into the real world? How does a woman who has only been with men, now be openly in love with a woman?



This is Pepa's moment and it is a good one. Pepa listens to Silvia and doesn't interrupt or minimize her feelings. She tells her that she will stand by her, and that she needs to focus only on her, because she is the one who can help her. Pepa shows her a deep strength that says that not only will I help you, but I will not leave your side. And then....Pepa put out her hand.



Act Three--Women all over this planet wanted to take this walk with Pepa and Silvia. Pepa tells Silvia that walking together is not so scary. Look at how nice the park is, how beautiful the ocean is...all the things you love are still here. There are just to the two of us walking together, enjoying the view.


Pepa puts her arm around Silvia and Silvia puts her arm around Pepa. Pepa then asks her if she is cold and Silvia answers that she is fine. My understanding of that moment is that Silvia has trembled--not because she is cold, but because she is overwhelmed by this moment. But no matter what, we see Pepa as the protector, as the one who will protect her novia from all the elements, whether they be physical or emotional. Silvia is safe.



Act Four--They are now running to the make believe train station and Pepa wants a kiss goodbye. The idea of kissing Pepa in public is unimaginable to Silvia. This scene is approached with humor, but most of us know that this is a real issue. No matter what Silvia says ("what will the nuns think?"), Pepa shoots down her worries. When Pepa suggests that they could be apart for two weeks, Silvia gives up.


(Dos semanas tanto?)

The thought of being separated is simply too hard to imagine. She kisses Pepa and with a smile on her face, Pepa kisses her back. After the first kiss, Pepa tells Silvia that they cannot be apart, and they kiss again.



This kiss was a big hit with viewers and was a YouTube sensation. What was the big deal? In the last episode they had kissed in the lab, but it was mainly Pepa being the aggressor and the kisses were pretty quick. In the hangar, Silvia makes the first move. She puts her arms around Pepa and opens her mouth....and our mouths opened in awe. This was Silvia saying that she believes in Pepa, that she trusts her and that she loves her. This was the moment that they became a couple.

PepSi became known for their unspoken moments and it all started in the bathroom. The writers knew that they had many golden moments with these two actors and it became a thread throughout their story line on LHDP. When Pepa takes her hand and they begin to walk, Siliva gives her a look of pure adoration. They can't keep their eyes off of each other.

This scene, this episode, was letting us know that the journey was just beginning. This was not about women lusting after each other in the bathroom. This wasn't two women making out in the lab. This was going to be a story of two women who fall in love and who try to keep it a secret. But it was also about how one woman discovers that the bond of love and trust is more powerful than all of her fears.

This was the moment, in my opinion, that PepSi was born. These two glorious women became one. This episode aired on May 27, 2008 and that is when the journey began. Fans all over the world packed their bags. We were so ready to be with them every step of the way.

I humbly submit this lecture with the hope that you will appreciate this scene even more than you did before. And to honor Pepa and Silvia, take the hand of someone you love and take a walk. Just walk.

Dr. Booker

P.S. The three films mentioned: Way out West, Schindler's List and The Way we Were.

9 Comments:

Dr. Pied Piper said...

I told you before that I didn't particularly care for this episode, even though I understood perfectly what they were saying (one of the few times when my Spanish brain cells were working). I don't know, maybe because it was too mushy or not very credible - I mean, c'mon, they were in a warehouse/hangar where people could come in anytime. And Silvia was so afraid of what people would say in the first place, when they were in an almost-public setting. Her 180-degree was a tad unrealistic and did not correspond to the depth of her fear and vascillation.

But this scene grew on me, especially the saxophone music in the background. Still not my absolute favorite, but it's not in the bottom of my list either.

Great lecture! Thanks.

Dr. Pied Piper said...

PS - Nice pictures, but it highlights (no pun intended)the fact that Marian doesn't fare well in natural lighting as she is so fair. When I was making the screencaps, I had to adjust Marian's a lot more than Laura's shots. We've discussed this already - Marian looks best with indirect or back lighting.

scoopgirl said...

My eyes are filled with tears. For personal reasons act 2 is the most painful scene to watch. I’m still moved when I see Silvia got what she deserved: Pepa’s love, trust and heart.

Dr. Booker from the bottom of my heart I thank you for this lecture. Once again you have showed me what an excellent observer and writer you are. Very soon I hope to take the hand of someone I love and take a walk.

Mille grazie.

Anonymous said...

Q18: I love your romantic points of view. This was really great. I love this scene as well because its at this moment that they are "official". So thanks.

angie005 said...

Dr. Booker,

I’m one of the PepSi fans that love this scene. It is probably my favorite because I tend to watch this more than the bathroom scene.

I’m actually surprised that not many people have written about the Hanger Scene. It’s the pivotal moment of Silvia accepting her feelings for Pepa. It’s basically when the PepSi began.

Dr Piper said it’s unrealistic, yes it is. But it’s television. If the writers and directors didn’t make that scene so eloquently would we as viewers believe their chemistry? Television helps us escape from reality and HOPE one day we will have what they have. What is life without hope? A pretty dreary one!

I like your interpretation of when Pepa asked Silvia if she was cold. I really thought Pepa was still “playing” the part. But thinking that Silvia actually tremble and that was Pepa’s response made this scene more heartwarming. More real, more memorable.

I believe a lot of people wanted to take that walk with Pepa and Silvia (if not, then with Pepa.) To experience that the world isn’t as scary as we perceive. This walk was symbolic in taking that step forward. When we are in a relationship, we move forward. When we come out as gay or lesbian, we move froward. This walk represents all that and more.

Thank you for this lecture and don’t deny that you shouldn’t have written it. As mushy as it way, PepSi was about love.

Junebuggy1757 said...

I don't know what you were so nervous about. You write and describe things so brilliantly, Booker! I must admit that I have never been fond of this scene... Don't ask me why, I couldn't answer, but I haven't. Reading your lecture, though, made me realise why others like it so much. Even made me rewatch this scene and have a new appreciation for it. I agree now too, that this is where they became PepSi, officially.

Tifanice said...

you know what pepa says that change my life is "don't think you walk with a woman, think you walk with me". I love someone but I aways scare that everybody will see I and my lover go together, I scare what they think about us. but when Pepa say it. I change my mind. I just throw my fearness away and enjoy the happy moment with who I love.what they think isn't important.the important is my feelings with her. I'm happy with her. that's enough. I dont let another ruin my life or my love.
thanks Pepa. I adore you so much

and thanks Dr.Booker for a nice lecture. I aways waiting for new Lecture

kalike said...

Dr. B, you wanted the truth, so here it is. I completely agree w/ Junebuggy - I don't know what you were so nervous about! This is the ep. that made me fall in love w/ PepSi. Yes, individually they're great, beautiful and funny. Yes, the bathroom scene was beautiful and so was the episode the followed. But this scene, this made me really root for them as a couple b/c it showed - as you so eloquently put it in your lecture - "that the journey was just beginning." And that journey was going to show how "the bond of love and trust is more powerful than all (one's) fears."

I loved this scene b/c it showed that to Pepa Silvia was not just "a torrid affair w/ a superior." She doesn't just listen to Silvia's fears, she addresses them. Silvia talked about her fear of being seen in a park, so Pepa took her on an imaginary walk together in a park. Silvia talked about her fear of kissing goodbye at a train station, so Pepa took her to an imaginary train station. And she did it in a calm, playful manner to help assuage Silvia's fears by getting Silvia to focus on her (Pepa), on them. Once Silvia did that - gave Pepa her trust and her love, as you said so well, - everything else faded into the background and they could take that first step together as PepSi.

What I love most about your lecture (and all of your lectures) is that you always notice the smallest details, which adds a whole new perspective to the way that I view a scene. For this lecture, one of the details that you noticed was that they both had their hair pulled back. It's pretty obvious, but I never really took note of it until you said it and, for me, I immediately noticed the difference that made in the scene. By having their hair pulled back, you could see the full effect of their facial expressions - Silvia's fear in her eyes, Pepa's understanding in her smile, and their love for each other in their gazes. It added a rawness to the scene and, IMO, helped to exemplify the beauty in it. Thanks to that little detail, I see this scene in a whole new light. One even more beautiful than I had before.

So, Dr. B, I think you made the right choice to write about this scene, and, as always, you did a phenomenal job in showing us its beauty. I'm still basking in the glow of your brain :)

bigmarianfan said...

This is undoubtedly one of my favourite scenes. I don't know why but I love it when Pepa tells Silvia to take off her gloves and I love the look Silvia has on her face after their first kiss, when Pepa says she is going to catch the train with her. Booker, you are a god, a genius,a wonderful, wonderful lecturer and irreplacable member of the faculty at Pepsi U.