BMF'S FOOD COLUMN

18 November 2009

Chicken Enchiladas


Some of you may ask me, "Why are you teaching us to cook so much random mexican food BMF?" and my reply is always the same. I don't see the point in lecturing if my students are not going to pay attention. I know for a fact that chicken enchiladas are a staple diet for most members of my class and no matter how much I disapprove of Mexican food, I can't deny that it has a special place in many people's hearts. I also get quite hot and bothered writing about it and my red hot tiger temper (what does that even mean?!) comes out to play which is always fun!

BMF'S top five reasons for making chicken enchiladas
  1. Sexy time (because lets face it, fiery finger food is the way to a woman's heart)
  2. Everytime I think of Mexican food, I think of Silvia swigging a Corona, and boy can that girl swig! When her lips wrap around the top of that glass bottle, I pray to the heavens that one day I will be reincarnated as a beer.
  3. They are saucy, meaning sauce gets everywhere and anywhere and that's hot.
  4. They are spicy, get your taste buds tingling, your heart beating faster...
  5. see point 1.
Ingredients

  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • Vegetable oil
  • 2 small cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 14.5-ounce can tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted if you can get it
  • 2 Tbsp red chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup to a cup of water
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • Grapeseed oil, peanut oil or canola oil - a high smoke point vegetable oil
  • 2-3 cups of cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
  • Salt
  • 2 cups grated cheese (about 1/3 lb)

Method
Preheat the oven to 350°F (the same temperature you would expect to be if you were getting frisked in a parking lot)

Prepare the sauce. Sauté the onions in a skillet on medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic after a couple of minutes. While the onions are cooking, purée the canned tomatoes in a blender. Add the tomatoes to the onions and garlic. Bring to a low simmer. Start adding the chili powder to taste( I add a LOT because I love spicy food).Add a teaspoon of sugar( or get Silvia to dip her finger in it) if necessary to cut down on the acid from the tomatoes.As the sauce simmers, dilute it with water to keep it from getting too thick as it simmers. Remove from heat.

Mix in 1/4 cup of the sauce with the cooked chicken, and a 1/4 cup of the cheese. Sprinkle with a little salt. Set aside.

Heat up the tortillas by either frying them (for those with a super fast metabolism like Kalike) or putting them in the microwave. I like frying them because I love fat and I am not ashamed to say it!

Assemble the enchiladas. Use an 8x12 inch baking dish. Place a couple spoonfuls of the chicken mixture in the center of a tortilla and roll it up. Place in the baking dish and repeat until all dozen of your tortillas are neatly placed in rows in the casserole dish. Cover the tortillas rolls with the remaining sauce.

Sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese.

Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.

Serve with thinly sliced iceberg lettuce that has been seasoned with vinegar and salt (no oil), guacamole or avocado slices, and sour cream. Garnish with Jalepenos!

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Q18: Great now I'm hungry!

booker said...

BMF- thanks so much for this. I love the image of
silvia's mouth on that Corona. You can be the beer, and I will be the bottle. It's not just those lips on the bottle, it's that eye lift she does when she drinks.
I want to wrap that woman in a flour tortilla and eat her for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
gracias!

Dr. Pied Piper said...

I don't like the red tortillas as much as the one with "white sauce" (i.e., melted swiss and cheddar cheese, almost like a bechamel sauce with a dash of chili powder), since it is not as overwhelming. I recommend serving it with roasted chipotle pepper and a garnish of lime. Yum. And an ice cold Corona. And Silvia.

Vessaria said...

Everytime I think of Mexican food, I think of Silvia swigging a Corona, and boy can that girl swig! When her lips wrap around the top of that glass bottle, I pray to the heavens that one day I will be reincarnated as a beer.

hahaha and she can really snuffle the cornchips too. Notice how she's always stopping Pepa from eating as well!! ie: the croissant over breakfast (hold my hand instead..) and the cornchips (write me a list of your 5 fantasies..). Naughty hot silvia.

kalike said...

I realized that I can't read your lectures this late at night. It makes me extremely hungry and it's not good for me to eat this late.

That being said, I do love that even though you don't have access to a lot of these Mexican dishes in England, you're still willing share recipes on them with us. And "add a teaspoon of sugar (or get Silvia to dip her finger in it) - hahaha!

Great job and thanks for the little shout out :)

Anonymous said...

B-I left you a comment the day you posted this and now it's gone. WTF?! Something about you and mexican food being hot, hot, hot & spicy, spicy, spicy. Oh, come on, you know it's true. :) AZ