I SEE YOU

06 November 2009

I forgive you and I love you

These sentiments are never said in this episode, but those emotions are clearly shared by Silvia and Pepa.

In this lecture, we are focusing on the two hospital scenes where Curtis is definitely the third wheel in the room. Silvia and Pepa have not spoken since the "I only want to have a baby with you" episode (the other garage scene) that aired March 11. This hospital episode aired April 15, so we have all been waiting patiently for their reunion.

Silvia knows that Pepa is upset about Curtis and that she is not herself. Silvia comes to the hospital out of concern for Pepa. This is also her chance to tell her that she has forgiven her for the Aitor kitchen incident (that I still deny happened) and to tell her that she loves her.



So what does Silvia do? She lets Pepa talk, she questions the actions of Curtis during the shooting, and she makes Pepa laugh.




There is a wonderful look between them after Pepa has laughed and she just looks at Silvia with such happiness and shows a glimmer of hope that Silvia will take her back. Silvia gives Pepa this long look and she seems overwhelmed by the laughter, the smiles and the reality of knowing how much she loves this woman. She loves Pepa. It is as simple as that. This scene is the ice breaker and it was up to Silvia to reach out to Pepa. Pepa had done everything possible to let Silvia know that she was wanted and it took this strange shooting to bring them together.



Now we have the second scene in the hospital, the one that has very few words. This is the kind of scene that should be shown in acting classes around the world. Because we know the Pepsi history,we know that there have been enough words. The power...the impact of this scene is the fact that there is barely any dialogue. Taking the words away strips bare the emotions and this is when there are no games, no jealousy, no fake pregnancy, no harassment charges, and no anger. This is the moment when Silvia opens her heart even further.




What does Silvia see when she first sees Pepa sleeping? She sees the woman she has lived with for over a year. She sees the woman she woke up to every morning. She sees Pepa sleeping on her right side just like she did in their bed.



This image moves her to come to Pepa, to cover her with the blanket. She delicately pushes her hair out of her face and then strokes her cheek. Just look at Silvia's face and you can see what she has missed and what she is remembering. She sees the mouth that has kissed her, she sees the hands that have held her and made love to her. And she touches those hands in wonder. She smiles.



At this pivotal moment, Silvia has slipped her hand into Pepa's, and Pepa begins to wake up. Silvia sees this and does NOT take her hand away. She waits a few seconds and then walks away.



Pepa crosses to Silvia and touches her. But Silvia senses her before she is touched, and she has such a look of peacefulness and pure love.



Pepa does not move. She waits for Silvia, who comes to Pepa, always looking her in the eye, they kiss and they kiss again. And then the wonderful hug which seals the deal. I believe that Silvia was going to kiss Pepa again, but Curtis ruined her chance. The look of joy on both of their faces was a mirror of the Pepsians' collective smiles around the world.




By now we have watched the famous bathroom scene multiple times. It is one of the best Pepsi scenes ever. So it is no surprise that the writers and director decided to pay homage to that scene by reversing the positions of the two women in the hospital reconciliation. This moment is their relationship coming full circle, this is their reunion. In the bathroom scene and this scene, Pepa's inner monologue is the same: "Be still. She needs to come to me. She needs to tell me that she is ready...ready to accept my love."



The strength of the hospital scenes lies with the fabulous faces of Marian and Laura. Look at Marian's entrance with the food...look at the range of emotions on Marian's face...this is what is called..acting.



These two scenes are all about Silvia seeing Pepa clearly. This is Silvia seeing how much Pepa means to her and how much she needs her. Seeing her, touching her and holding her - she sees all of her doubts and fears on the surface and they are all dismissed for one reason -- she loves and trusts Pepa.



And Silvia finally realizes that that is all that matters.

Dr. Booker

Piper's Note: The dramatic soundtrack is called Remembrance by the late British composer Ian Hughes.

Marian Aguilera, Laura Sanchez, Pepa, Silvia

13 Comments:

Cela said...

Well done, Dr. B!! This was such a gorgeous scene, perfectly executed by MA and LS. I always loved that their reconciliation happened with no words, because none were needed. The looks and touches said it all. :-D

scoopgirl said...

Dr. Booker thank you for this outstanding lecture. Brilliant as ever. The hospital scene part two is my favorite Silvia scene. She's not only beautiful beyond god but her facial expressions speak volumes. No words required.

Anonymous said...

I just found this website and wanted to say thank you all for the amazing insight! Now I'm off to read all the other lectures. I sure am going to miss pepsi.

angie005 said...

Dr.B! You have a great insight for the PepSi scene. Thank you for writing up on this pivotal moment of Pepsi history.

I feel ashamed! I really should finish mine for the second time =(

(I lost the original cause I didn't transfer it on my thumb drive properly and than I deleted it off my laptop *cries)

Vessaria said...

"The look of joy on both of their faces was a mirror of the Pepsians' collective smiles around the world."

amen to that, peeps. Love love love PepsiUniversity, one of the best sites on the internet :-D

bigmarianfan said...

OH GOD I MISS SILVIA...Booker, as I think I mentioned to you when we first met, this is one of my favourite scenes,not just because Silvia uses my favourite line (38 callibre) but their eyes say it all.
Great job x

mauders said...

Awesome lecture! This is also one of my favourite scenes. Amazing.

Dr. Pied Piper said...

I think the effectiveness of this episode lies in the absence of words. And since love is universal, no need to add empty narratives to a touch, a glance, a kiss, or a tear. We saw what we saw, and there's no need to analyze a word or inflection.

Great pictures, Dr. Booker! Oh yeah, I made them. :D

Junebuggy1757 said...

Whoa, look who strolled in with the early comment! *Looks around* Me! This was just so beautiful and touching and my favorite scene! (I know weird right, considering I'm supposedly just a horndog.) And you just, you dissect it so well Booker! Just so well! Thank you for this.

kalike said...

*Bows* I don't words can adequately describe how fantastic this lecture of yours is Dr. B, so as you once said to me, "I think I will bask in the glow of your brain." :)

malbeca said...

Dr. Booker you're one of a kind. I don't know how your brain works but in my book you're a genius. The hospital scene is my second favorite. I have a request: could you do a lecture on the hangar scene?

Anonymous said...

Qosmio18: Sorry I'm a little chocked up. That was ummm really good. Sorry I'm not usually this emotional but ummm yeah that was beautiful. Sigh its too bad we won't get to see more of their eternal bound. Really beautiful. Ok going to buy stock in Kleenex now. ;p

appletini said...

Wow, I'm so in love with this episode. I really watched it on youtube over and over again. Your lecture just made me fall back in my *I can't sleep without seeing at least a part of the ep* phase.
Your a wonderful writer dear.

PM