The Lion of the Senate

26 August 2009

 by Dr. Pied Piper

Senator Edward Moore Kennedy died last night after a long battle with brain cancer.

Compared to his brothers, the news of his death seems pretty tame. Among his brothers, he’s the only one who died a natural death, although he did come close several times in the most unnatural manner. And with this, we close the book - the final, extended chapter – of Camelot.

They called him “The Lion of the Senate”; for us, he was simply “Teddy” our senator. The first senator I ever voted for. To say he was beloved in Massachusetts is to undermine the degree of affection its people held him with, and the depth of grief and loss they now experience. For my generation, Senator Kennedy was the only constant senator we ever had (although I don’t live in MA anymore). His death is personal.

So for today, PepSi University dares to venture outside the imaginary world of San Antonio into the real world of real pains and real triumphs, of real deaths and real grief, of real affection and real gratitude.

If you’ve never been a resident of the great state of Massachusetts, you probably would not understand why his death saddens me so much. But you have to understand that the Kennedys are revered in their home state; they rank pretty high up there, along with the Red Sox, the Patriots & Celtics, clam chowdah, and the Catholic Church. We cried when John Jr. died, we cringed when Michael was accused by his baby sitter, we waited with bated breath when William was going through his rape trial… For those of us who never knew them, Jack was still one of the greatest presidents ever and his assassination is as real to us as it was 46 years ago, and Bobby was the greatest president that never was and the simple white cross adorning his grave speaks to the humility of the man. And Ted…Ted was our advocate and knight in beaten armor.

Yes, we unashamedly and unapologetically revered the Kennedys.

Senator Kennedy was not a saint – he was the foremost target of right-wing attacks, humorous or otherwise. The mention of his name brought out the rabid nature of his critics. His own personal history rightly justifies them: of Mary Jo Kopechne and Chappaquiddick, of bar hopping in Florida with his nephew William Kennedy Smith, of drinking and the (assumed and stereotypical) Irish predisposition to alcohol, of his liberal politics and its humongous cost

But his life was also the very story of man: our fall from grace and own search for salvation. If there’s some sort of bookeeping when we die, I can only hope that my good deeds will outweigh the bad. I hope I will be remembered, if I will be remembered at all, as a good person, in spite and because of myself.

So in the celestial accounting system, I would like to believe that Senator Kennedy closed the books with a positive balance. And his personal history might have rightly justified his critics, but it should have also silenced them into admiration - because his accomplishments put us all to shame, his eloquence leaves us all in awe, his affection and good intentions have put us all in a better world.

I am not going to do a laundry list of his legacy; you can go to http://www.boston.com/, http://www.cnn.com/, http://www.nytimes.com/, or http://www.washingtonpost.com/ for that. Just know that his legislations, although he was born affluent and privileged, focused on the poor and the marginalized members of society.

For every black person enjoying the Boston Common at this moment, for every senior citizen waiting for their meal on wheels, for every child who dreams of a college education, for every teenager who survives on minimum wage, for every family member who needs to stay home to take care of the sick, for every member of the US military wondering what they fuck they're doing in Iraq… For our generation which has been raised in material abundance and selfish aspirations and Reaganistic disdain for the poor, we thank him for showing us the best in politics and the salvation in our sinful humanity.

He said of his brother Bobby: “My brother need not be idealized or enlarged in death beyond what he was in life, but be remembered simply as a good and decent man who saw wrong and tried to right it, saw suffering and tried to heal it, saw war and tried to stop it.’’

It’s our turn now to say the same of him: he was a good and decent man, in spite and because of himself.

Thank you, Senator Kennedy.

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

He was a great man. If only the clowns in the House would take his bi-partisanship and actually get something done... Maybe his death will actually bring out the truth about the proposed health care reform instead of the lies being spread by those idiot Republicans.

Why am I talking about politics? How about that Silvia?

angie005 said...

Politics surrounds us and it is always a great idea to keep inform on what is happening. Whether it is government or a television network.

There is a relations to this with Silvia. I have speculated if the death of Silvia was due to political pressure by the network... hench Alex Pina stating LHDP "new direction". But you wonder why they picked Silvia and not Pepa or both. We will never know the real reason. Heck, it could be that MA wanted out of the show.

So thank you Dr.Piper for writing this article on Senator E.M. Kennedy. American Politics has always been far more interesting than Canadian. But I always excercise my right to vote!! (We have issues of people not voting in Canada...sigh)

Dr. Pied Piper said...

So true, Anonymous 2:30 - the Senate has lost its beacon. Now it's back to being a circus, so send in the clowns...

And Angie, politics, in every incarnation, sucks. You can see it at work, you can see it at message boards, you can see it in church. For someone as apolitical (and undiplomatic) as I, the double entendres, the nuances and dealmaking, the constant power struggle, the unwritten pecking orders - they're what politics represent.

That's why I always go back to numbers - they don't lie. They're logical and unemotional. They're safe in a sea of boiling and conflicting sentiments.

Maybe I'll write on the politics of LHDP's ending, but that would mean delving into Marian Aguilera (instead of plain Silvia Castro), and I'm not sure I would like to cross that line again any time soon.

Maybe I'll write about the politics of San Antonio. Real world politics is hard enough.

(Plus I almost failed my political science class at university... *Bashful look*)

booker said...

Pied Piper, How much do I adore you? what a wonderful thing to do today.
I got calls today from people who knew him, worked with him, knew Vicky. When I worked on campaigns, I met Teddy Jr. and his niece Kathleen, how much did they love him. And I met Teddy once..and it was like all the stars came out. Three houses up from me lives one of his best and oldest friends, and I can't imagine how he feels. But that was Teddy, having friends all over.
He never apologized for being a liberal. He was so supportive of gays before it was hip. He was truly a lion...fearless.
I thank you.

booker said...

Hey, Angie, I just connected the dots and realized who you are...I hope you have a new journal entry soon. I love that and all things you post.
Sorry, Dr Piper,for taking up class time for a personal reach out.
Still loving Silvia and you.

Dr. Pied Piper said...

No problem, Booker.

Angie
has an offer to join the PepSiU faculty as she just earned her MPep a few weeks ago and is on track to get her DPep. She is a HERO around here, and you are yet to find any post without Angie's insightful comments, even if posting them eventually hurt her piano fingers. I haven't returned the gesture because I still don't have a LJ account.

When did you volunteer for Sen Kennedy? I'm jealous, I must admit. But your comment about the stars coming out when in his presence reminds me this line from Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet:

Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.

angie005 said...

Dr. Piper... Yes, politics has many forms. Sadly, my job has a continious thread of work politics that it's disgusting. I'm surprised I still have a job LOL

I'm glad that you have have an escape from it, as yes, numbers do not lie but I sucked at math and I almost failed in high school. I feel so ashamed =(

I also tried political science and I dropped out in College. I wasn't going to have any of that lol


Booker... thank you for reading my journal. Yeah, I get around on this virtual space... from AE, to PepsiU, to Live Journal to COM Forum.
Maybe by the weekend I will have something posted... Real Life has been a bastard to me. (Sorry for talking in class Dr. Piper)


As for your offer, Dr. Piper, I can't join the faculty if I'm still a student!! There's so much more to learn and Sivlialogy is NOT over. But once Silvialogy is over, who knows if I want to get into Pepalogy. Are we allow to speak of Pepalogy here? There's a war going on in AE so I'm making sure I'm not threading on thin waters.

*ahem... you call me a hero when I'm no hero. Just a girl who keeps the Pepsi Spirit alive =)

booker said...

Dr P-one of my favorite quotes, I love that you posted it. just perfect. are you going to watch TV on saturday? I assume it will be shown on CNN.Have you been to the JFK museum, just fabulous. I have a wonderful story about it, but won't bore you here.
I am also not on LJ--it seems beyond me to get on to it, but by god, I read it everyday. Love the fan fic, keeps me from being too down.

Dr. Pied Piper said...

Booker, I sure have been to the JFK Library. I took my parents there one fall day a year before my mother died, and I'm so glad I did. Maybe I should go back soon - I just read Manchester's 1967 book on JFK's assassination - darn thing is out of print and I had to hunt it down - and I wouldn't mind seeing Jackie's pink bloodied dress again.

JFK Museum - not sure if you're referring to the Hyannis Port one, in which case, NO, we haven't been there. But I've been to JFK's home in Brookline. You know how it is when you live in a place too long - you don't go the touristy spots. I lived in NYC and never went to the top of the Empire State Bldg until after I moved out!

If you want to email me, you can send it to the blog email:

SilviaCastroLeon At GMail Dot Com

Malbeca said...

Dear Dr. Piper,

Across the Atlantic Ocean we mourn the loss of a great leader, Senator Edward Kennedy . He mastered the ability to keep an open dialogue with his opponents during debats and to come to an agreement that would benefit America as a nation. It saddens me that in todays's politics (around the world) politicians tend to preach for the converted instead of serving all people. Senator Kennedy will be missed.

Like I posted on AE Silvialogist don't need brainpower. We already got it.

Booker, I would love to hear your thoughts when Silvia walked towards Pepa on their weddingday. I have posted mine but nobody responded to it because most of the ladies seemed to be obssessed with BMF and frisking. Please PM me.

Sorry, Dr. Piper. Back to studying.

Booker said...

Malbeca-I would love to, but have no idea to address you. Also, can you tell what page your comments are on AE?
Dr Piper, I did write you at the blog.

Malbeca said...

Dr. Piper has my private email address. She can give it to you. You've got my consent Dr. P.