Silvialogy 3x14

11 August 2009

by Dr. Pied Piper 


LHDP 3x14

(If you want to watch the episode without downloading it, the link is at the end of the post)

Back story: I've been meaning to put together a little "Caso de Uriarte" primer on the people involved, etc., and one of these days, I will. But for now, just a little background story on Tomas Fernandez - he was Paco's partner and they were doing a surveillance on Uriarte, an officer of the comisaria suspected of corruption. They were in a jungle and they saw Uriarte wheeling and dealing, so they proceeded to arrest him. But Tomas turned the gun on Paco - he was part of the whole corruption gang. Instead of telling Lucas the truth about his father, Tomas' death was faked. Now with the Uriarte organization surfacing again, Tomas abducted Paco, et.al., and brought them to his villa. He understands the danger that Paco and his family are in and offers them fake passports, lots of money, and the chance to move to Argentina (I think). Meanwhile, Eva, revealed as one of the bad guys, kills her partner.

At the police station, everyone is doing police stuff to try and find Paco and company. Silvia comes in and pulls DL to the side and tells him something about not finding a helicopter.

Photobucket
Silvia then grimaces and clutches her stomach and she tells DL that she's around 8 weeks pregnant. Eva enters and asks DL what's going on and DL tells her about Lucas (and Mariano) being kidnapped by Lamb Blood (LB) guy. Sara then enters screaming because she escaped from Tomas' villa and like a pest that you're trying desperately to lose, she always comes back. She tells them that Tomas is not dead and she knows how to get to back to the villa.
Photobucket
And since this is Comisaria de San Antonio, everyone simply goes on a field trip to rescue Paco and Lola. Eva takes Sara with her in the car, and Silvia, as always, is taking her purse / handbag along (see picture below).
Photobucket
At the Fernandez villa, they find LB guy chained to a car - Lucas and Mariano are inside. (Funny scene of Mariano who pulled a gun on a scarecrow he thought was human because he had blurry vision. Not in this clip though.)
Photobucket
Everyone starts putting on their bullet proof vest and Montoya helps Silvia with hers. Silvia tries to tell him that she's pregnant, but they are interrupted by DL who yells "Vamos!"
Photobucket
DL tells her shouldn't go in because of her condition, to which Silvia replies that her sister is inside and damn if she doesn't do anything to get her. Guess who wins the argument?
Photobucket
DL, Silvia, and Montoya are in the courtyard with guns drawn, ready to storm inside the house. But of course, DL takes this opportunity to ask Silvia who the baby-daddy is. Silvia incredulously answers that it's Montoya.
Photobucket
DL likes the baby-daddy and he goes to Montoya who's hiding behind a different pillar to ask him if he's with Ruth. He confirms so DL scuttles back to the pillar where Silvia is and tells her it's bad.
Photobucket
Silvia then asks him if he saw something and DL says that Montoya is now with Ruth and that's why it's bad. Silvia ignores her father's lame but loving attempt of getting her and Montoya back together, because after all, they're IN THE MIDDLE OF A MISSION! And as Dino said, Silvia is already thinking of that mujer from Sevilla whom she wants to raise a baby with...
Photobucket
The trio finally gets inside the house where they see Tomas, Paco, Lola, and Mariano. Lucas tries to get his father to surrender but he goes outside to escape and Lucas blocks the door so DL cannot follow him. Outside, Tomas is shot by Eva unprovoked. Sara saw the whole thing because despite everyone asking her to stay in the car, she DID NOT stay in the car.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I'm not sure if this is where Season 3 ends but for the sake of simplicity, I'll just keep my original season and episode numbers.

Watch clip in HD

Piper's Commentary
A couple of you posted that you just read Episode 104's English translation which left you sad again, and that makes it harder for you to appreciate the old Silvia episodes. To which I say: that's part of the grieving process but I promise you that it will get easier especially since Silvia is only a fictional character and when you wake up tomorrow and look around you, you'll see that your world is still the same.

Personally, I am posting all the old Silvia episodes because I enjoy watching them again. They make me appreciate the character more, and realize that Silvia died precisely when she had finally found herself and was really happy. Because when you're THAT happy, death is just an inconvenience and real joy transcends even life itself. Yeah, sucks for those who are left behind.

These old episodes also remind me what LHDP, at its best, used to be: stupidly funny and creative. Despite all the mishaps that these hapless cops go through, they still find salvation in each other and it makes the viewers feel good because it shows that human frailties do not mean that things will be not be okay in the end.

Which is why it becomes so clear and blatant that the last episode did not have the usual LHDP virtues, because everything was not okay. Because the hapless cops' haplessness and incompetence finally caught up to them with tragic results. From an artistic point of view, the writers targeted the lowest common denominator and invoked the viewers' visceral, primal pain. In one clean sweep, they managed to undermine all the ethos they have tried to build over the last 4 years at the expense of their audience. I really do not see the salvation in what they tried to do, because that is simply NOT the way to reboot a show.

Two of my favorite TV shows, Pushing Daisies and Eli Stone, were both canceled this year by ABC. Both shows had main characters who were so close to being dead: Chuck was just a Ned touch away from death while Eli Stone, with 2 brain aneurysms, was always in danger of croaking. The writers were given the chance to wrap up the series, both of which had some on-going plots, but instead of going the easy route and killing anyone (hence effectively ending the show), both series ended positively, with the simple message that everything would be okay even if we, the audience, would not be able to see them anymore.

8 Comments:

musicbuttons said...

I whole heartly agree with you. Its over and tomorrow will be a new day. To be honest, the reason I was drawn over here was because I wanted to take a closer look at the characters in the previous episodes. I'll continue to do so. Thanks Piper!

I'll admit I am saddened by the ending. It was a nice reality check this afternoon after rereading the recap. It was beautiful story and needed to end the way it did.

I never watched either of the shows listed but I did follow the aftermath of the Dead Like Me series. I loved that little show but it ended. Everyone pushed for a movie. The fans got one. For me it was a big disappointment and I silently wished I never saw it.

So...I'll appreciate LHDP and continue to watch next season. I'll also continue to follow and appreciate the past episodes here...

Dr. Pied Piper said...

I don't think anyone who has followed the show and its characters all these years was not saddened by episode 104. As I said, the writers went for the lowest common denominator and maximum shock value - visceral and primal pain - and where is the romance or salvation in that? Despite their lame attempt at any justification via the images of those who died saying "it's worth it", you still feel someone kicked you in the gut.

I disagree however that it needed to end the way it did, simply because there could have been a million other ways to write off a character without them being exiled in Barcelona (Lola), getting blown up (Bernarda), or joining the CIA (Lucas). The writers either got lazy or they wanted Marian to win an acting award as a "thank you" for all the middling arcs they have given a great actress.

But this blog is not about Marian as much as about Silvia and Pepa. So regardless of what Marian or the producers wanted, the ending still leaves one angry and shocked, but more disturbingly, it will eventually leave them uninterested. Six months to the first episode of the next season is a long time for people to get over their pain, and usually, apathy comes after. Just like a relationship gone bad, you simply don't have it in you to care anymore.

Saw some episodes of Dead Like Me but I canceled Showtime so I didn't follow it anymore.

Thanks for writing in and following all the Silvialogy lessons!

angie005 said...

Hi Dr. Piper!

Love your commentary. I love watching the old LHDP episodes because the show is much better than some america tv series. LHDP was either getting lazy with the season finale or they wanted this season to end with a bam so viewers would be interested in the next season. It's all about marketing and money I guess.

I'm one of those who was sad and cried at the season finale but after I watched it, I came to realized what a terrific episode it was. The acting was amazing, especially on Marian/Laura. It was one of LHDP best season finales to date.

It irks me when people can't come to realize the difference between the actor Marian and the character Silvia. One is real and the other is fiction, so please please get over it. (My rant of the day, sigh)

angie005 said...

I also want to note.

Silvia is looking and dressing nicely in this episode.. yum! And how hilarious was DL running back and forth to Sivlia and Montoya! LOL

I love how LHDP can infuse comedy while in a dramatic scene.

dino_919 said...

Thanks for uploading the last two episodes. I must say: I just don't dig Lucas. At best he's just annoying when on screen, and he has a lot of screen time...
The scene with DL asking who the child's father was, was hilarious, and then trying to find out how things between Montoya and Ruth were, hoping for a reconciliation between Silvia and Montoya, when it was obvious Silvia couldn't care less if Montoya was in the picture. You could tell she was already thinking of another, more suitable partner to raise a child of hers with. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I don't think I am ready ro get over it...I am still mourning for her and the end of the Pepsi storyline.I so agree with you, PP, about the ending. It was cruel and heartless, no matter how brilliant MA was, and she was!
Maybe this wouldn't be so painful if there lots of lesbian couples on tv. But no matter what, there is no replacement for MA. Only one of her.

wildekatz said...

Dr. Piper,
I agree with everything you said in your commentary - thank you so much. I've been watching all the older eps starting with season 1, and thanks to your posts I can understand them better... I really liked the dark humour and comedic scenes in prior seasons, that's why I love LHDP.

I also liked Pushing Daisies - that's just excactly my kind of humor (and I totally love the style of it haha), and though I'm sad that the show was cancelled, I'm glad that it ended positively

thanks again, YOU ROCK

swiftlyreloaded said...

I love your commentary on how screwed the ending of episode 104 turned out. ya know i'm not a scrip writer but an member of the audience & all i can say is that w/o the audience whats the point of REVAMPING a show. LHDP IMO started out BRILLIANT & just turned WACK!!!