BMF'S FOOD COLUMN

14 October 2009

Hey ladies!! I thought I would start by saying that NEVER in a million years would I dream of doing a food column on breakfast tacos, but a special someone requested this, so I am doing this for her! By merely mentioning the words "b***k***t t***s", many members of the AE thread have felt the fiery wrath of BMF and wound up in permanent detention. I had never even heard of a breakfast taco a couple of weeks ago, mainly because we don't have them in England (*BMF sheds a tear*) but now I cannot stop thinking about their heavenly aroma, their moorish texture, how they would set my taste buds on fire, leaving me wanting more and more after every single satisfying bite. They have popped in to my head more times than Silvia has and that’s saying something!


What bagels are to New Yorkers or what scones are to the English, are what breakfast tacos are to the Texans. What is it about them, that has various people, (*cough Cela, cough *Azwombat*) drooling all over their computers / laptops when thinking about them?


Firstly , they can fit perfectly in to ones hand and mouth.
Secondly, when eating them, the chance of the filling spilling out is high, meaning the chance of some hotty reaching over and saying to you, "you've got a little something there", while using her finger to wipe away …Ok I am getting carried away but you get the point!

So what is a breakfast taco??

A breakfast taco is a regular 8-inch flour tortilla (almost always flour, there is a soft corn variety) stuffed with scrambled eggs, cheese and breakfast meat and if you are feeling feeling wild like my tigers, you can add a thin spread of refried beans.


A thick chewy flour tortilla and a spicy salsa will separate an excellent BT from a good BT.



Ingredients:
4 eggs- FREE RANGE, NOT BATTERY!!!!!!
1/4 cup of milk
4 slices of bacon,or 1 cup of chorizo ( my personal favourite!)
1 cup of refried beans, heated on Silvia Castro's burning loins
1/2 cup of salsa
1 cup of shredded Longhorn cheddar or any cheese you like
4 flour tortillas
1 tablespoon of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

  1. Whisk eggs with milk( preferably from Daisy)
  2. Heat up iron skillet on medium-high, and melt tablespoon of butter
  3. When butter is melted, pour in eggs and scramble for about three minutes or until done to your liking. Add salt and pepper to taste
  4. Heat up your flour tortillas either on a skillet, or by laying them on top of a gas burner. When tortilla starts to puff (about 20 seconds) turn it over and cook for another 20 seconds.
  5. Take a tortilla and spread 1/4 cup of refried beans in the center of the tortilla. Add 1/4 of the scrambled eggs, 1/8 cup of salsa, 1/4 cup of cheese and either a slice of bacon or chorizo
  6. Fold in bottom 1 inch of the tortilla, and then roll from left to right until self-contained

This makes 4 tacos but if you are like me, that will be enough for 1 person and one person only!

7 Comments:

booker said...

Fabulous,BMF! We have to have a BT party before classes start.
No one could make a taco sound sexy like you and the idea of Silvia's loins as a heat source...my oh my.

kalike said...

"1 cup of refried beans, heated on Silvia Castro's burning loins" LOL!

I usually don't eat breakfast - I'd rather get the extra hour of sleep - but a breakfast taco is one of the ways to get me to eat a morning meal. It's a great on-the-go meal since everything is wrapped up nicely.

Great lecture, BMF! And hey, now there will be breakfast tacos in England!

Cela said...

You're awesome! And I'm so glad you've been introduced to the wonders of breakfast tacos!

PepSi - expanding horizons (of culinary pleasures and delights)

Mmm, I think I'll have breakfast tacos for dinner. That's also the great thing about them - you can eat them whenever! They're especially fabulous after a long night of drinking. *wink*

Dr. Pied Piper said...

Muchas gracias, hija! Que sabroso!

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart, who knew two simple words...breakfast...taco...could inspire such lust in you! This is your sexiest column yet. Well done, my spicy little chorizo! XOXO (azwombat)

scoopgirl said...

BMF when is your cook book due to be published? I would love to come to the UK so you can sign my copy. You're the hottest chef ever!

bigmarianfan said...

The cook book will be coming out in a couple of months and I will happily sign your copy if you come to england..
Thanks again for the comments ladies, it is so nice reading them all!