PepSi Mia!

04 October 2009

by Malbeca, MPep


Dear Dr. Pied Piper,

You know I have the greatest respect and admiration for you as my Professor at PepSi University. For weeks I’ve been struggling with a topic for my first lecture. Yesterday while I was driving my car I suddenly had this brilliant idea for my first lecture. You’ll either hate me or love me even more.

This lecture is solely dedicated to you.


Malbeca, Mpep
Graduate Assistant


The Swedish pop group ABBA is one of the most popular bands in the history of music. Their songs are famous all over the world. In 1974 the group won the European Song Contest with their hit song Waterloo. In 1999 Mama Mia the Musical premiered in London and has since been translated and performed in many different languages and countries. The universal lyrics make it easy to apply them to many situations. That is why I am bringing you my PepSi Mia through the words of ABBA.


Take a chance on me

Take a chance on me
(Come on, give me a break will you?)
Take a chance on me
Oh you can take your time baby, I'm in no hurry, know I'm gonna get you
You don't wanna hurt me, baby don't worry, I ain't gonna let yo
Let me tell you now
My love is strong enough to last when things are rough
It's magic
You say that I waste my time but I can't get you off my mind
No I can't let go
'Cos I love you so

Photobucket

Piper's Commentary: This song briliantly captures the beginning of PepSi - courtship, doubts, flirtation, vascillation, and finally, coupledom.


Mama Mia

Mamma mia, here I go again
My my, how can I resist you?
Mamma mia, does it show again?
My my, just how much I've missed you
Yes, I've been brokenhearted
Blue since the day we parted
Why, why did I ever let you go?
Mamma mia, now I really know,
My my, I could never let you go.

Photobucket

Piper's Commentary: Our PepSi went through heartaches and goodbyes in order to grow and realize how much they mean to each other. However, we can assume that instead of saying "Mama Mia", they would have said "Madre Mia"



Knowing me, knowing you

No more carefree laughter
Silence ever after
Walking through an empty house, tears in my eyes
Here is where the story ends, this is goodbye

Knowing me, knowing you (ah-haa)
There is nothing we can do
Knowing me, knowing you (ah-haa)
We just have to face it, this time were through
(this time were through, this time were through
This time were through, were really through)
Breaking up is never easy, I know but I have to go
(I have to go this time
I have to go, this time I know)
Knowing me, knowing you
It's the best I can do

Photobucket




Piper's Commentary: This ABBA song poignantly says what Silvia must have been feeling every morning she woke up, reached for Pepa, and realized she's not there. The song sums up The Big Breakup: while we knew they would eventually get back together, we were heartbroken anyway.

I do I do I do I do I do

“Love me or leave me, make your choice but believe me
I love you
I do, I do, I do, I do, I do
I can’t conceal it, don’t you see, can’t you feel it?
Don’t you too?
I do, I do, I do, I do, I do”

pep

Piper's Commentary: And they finally got back together, stronger and closer, more sure of themselves, together and apart. And they know that no matter what the future brings, it will be okay as long as they face it together.



While Dr. Piper is on sabbatical, per approval by Dr Booker, for one hour at noon each day ABBA music will be played at the PepSi University Dining Room. And perhaps Dr. Piper you will be tempted to change your BBerry ringtone to Dancing Queen while you travel the world.

Piper's Commentary
: Just like the musical and the movie spawned by the prolific songs and lyrics of ABBA's repertoire, so can the whole story of Pepa and Silvia be told, sung, and danced. I can just see it now: the marquee reading "PepSi Mia!" adorning the billboards of the Ambisex Auditorium. Broadway and West End scrambling to stage our musical, and finally, a Tony for Malbeca for the brilliant adaptation of a musical adaptation. And I will be on the front row, not warming seats, but looking on very proudly.

I am not a dreamer - that's the specialty of Dr. Booker - but I can still imagine how bright the future is for my Graduate Assistant.

Los Hombres de Paco

9 Comments:

Dr. Pied Piper said...

"You’ll either hate me or love me even more."

Even more.

Thank you and congratulations on your first lecture! My liver is full and smiling and full of pride even as I type this note to you from somewhere in the north of Spain.

dr. booker said...

This was fantastic! Congratulations. Malbeca.
ABBA dabado at PepSiU.

Anonymous said...

I love ABBA - the perfect blend of kitsch and artistry, just like LHDP (before they started sucking) and PepSi. I never associated ABBA songs with Pepsi before, but now I will. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

interesting lecture WoW ABBA?

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Pepsi U. This is one of my favorite blogs and I visit it everyday and I happy other people take over during Dr Piper abssence. I love ABBA! Love From Singapore

kalike said...

Let's see. Music = awesome. PepSi = incredibly awesome. Music + PepSi = one fantastic lecture. I have no complaints. Great job, Malbeca!

bigmarianfan said...

Malbeca, I am a big Abba fan and the songs you chose are very fitting to our beloved Pepsi! GREAT JOB!!

Bekelauer said...

couldn't agree more! good job, Malbeca!

malbeca said...

Thank you for your kind words. You know how exciting it is to post a lecture and what a pleasure it is to receive comments. Again Dr. Piper thank you for your help, wonderful ideas and brilliant computer skills. Thanks to my (our) editor Dr. Booker for being the kind person she is.

Malbeca